Medical Records FAQ

Pillbox Hill Medical Center protects your privacy. Learn more about how to get copies of your medical records.

Moderator: Supervisors

Roan Roybal
Hospital Leadership
Hospital Leadership

Medical Records FAQ

Post by Roan Roybal »

• 1) Do I have the right to see my medical records?
    Yes, you have the right to see your medical records. In fact, under HIPAA, it states that you actually have the right to view and receive a copy of your medical records that are held by health care providers and health plans. This includes Pillbox Hill Medical Center. One of the few exceptions to this rule is psychotherapy notes, as these are kept separate from a patient’s medical records.

2) Can anyone order a copy of my medical records?
    No, not just anyone can request a copy of your medical records. To see the full list of who can order a copy of your medical records, please check question number 7. In order to access the records, you will need to have a signed authorization form.

3) Can my attorney get my medical records?
    Yes, your attorney can get your medical records, but only if you’ve signed an authorization form allowing them to do so.

4) Do my medical records belong to me?
    Your medical records do not belong to you. They belong to your medical provider and Pillbox Hill Medical Center. This includes everything from the diagnostic imaging and treatment plans, to physical and electronic copies of your medical history. However, under HIPAA, you are guaranteed access to copies of your medical records.

5) Can a doctor refuse to release my medical records?
    A doctor typically cannot refuse to release your medical records. Under HIPAA, a patient is entitled to access the entirety of their medical records. This includes everything from test results to physician notes. However, there are some instances where a doctor may refuse to release medical records. This includes mental health or other records that they believe may be harmful to the patient.

6) What happens if a physician never responds to my request for medical records?
    A physician must provide copies of your medical records to you within 15 days of your written request. If they do not respond to your request for medical records, action may be taken against them. This action can range from prodding the doctor to prove the records to you or even disciplinary action against the physician’s medical license.

7) Who is authorized to sign for a release of my medical record?
    • You the patient
    • Anyone you have granted the power of attorney to
    • A parent if you are younger than the age of 18
    • A parent in minor if the patient is between ages 12 to 17 and receiving psychiatric, alcohol, or drug treatment services
    • The patient’s legal guardian
    8) Who is authorized to obtain a copy of deceased patient records?
    • The executor of the estate (documentation must be provided)
    • If no executor exists, a power of attorney for healthcare (documentation must be provided)
    • If no executor or agent exists, an authorized relative may request records (signed authorized relative certification and certified copy of the death certificate must be provided)
    9) May my spouse request and receive copies of my medical record?
    Yes, but only with your written consent. You must sign a release of information form authorizing a provider to release copies of your records to your spouse.

10) How can I receive my records electronically?
    We can provide you a copy of your records via sending an email to the one listed in your release request. (( We will use the private message function of our forums to send you the medical record. If you prefer to be sent a private message on the main GTA World forums, please specify in your request. ))

11) Will I be charged a fee for requesting a copy of my medical records?
    Requesting copies of your medical records to be sent directly to you, to another healthcare provider or to a third party will cost you a sum of $5,000 (five thousand dollars).

12) Can my health information be used without my consent? If so, when?
    Your health information can actually be used for treatment as well as when required by law without your consent.
    • Treatment. An example is when a patient comes to the emergency department for care. It may have been a patient in the hospital a month ago and the emergency room physician needs your records now to help make better treatment decisions for your current care. You will not be asked to authorize this use or any similar types of uses of your medical record.
    • Law. Your record may actually be required by law to be released to certain individuals. The hospital or a physician office receives a subpoena for your medical record. In this case, the hospital must comply by law with this request. So your authorization will not be obtained in this or similar types of situations.
    13) Do you have any tips to help me fill out the authorization form properly?
    • Fill out all information clearly, including your name and date of birth
    • Specify the dates of treatment (date range is okay)
    • If you have an upcoming appointment you need the records for, please use the “Date Range” section to let us know
    • Make sure to read the authorization information and be sure to sign and date it properly
      • If you are requesting records to be sent to yourself, an electronic signature is permitted.
      • If you are requesting records to be sent to someone else, a written signature is required.
    14) Can I pick up my records in person?
    Records are available for pickup 24/7 at the front desk of Pillbox Hill Medical Center.
Roan Roybal, MS, AGACNP, FAANP
Chief Nursing Officer
Email: [email protected]