Chief Nursing Officer - Roan Roybal, MS, AGACNP, FANP

Moderator: Supervisors

Roan Roybal
Hospital Leadership
Hospital Leadership

Chief Nursing Officer - Roan Roybal, MS, AGACNP, FANP

Post by Roan Roybal »

Greetings, I am Roan Roybal, a 34-year-old healthcare professional with roots in Algonquin, Liberty City. My academic journey commenced with a BSN from Vespucci University, followed by a tenure as an RN at Holland Hospital Center. Expanding upon this foundation, I pursued an MSN with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care and obtained my NP certification from the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).

Beyond my professional endeavors, I find solace in the company of a good book amidst the ambiance of a local coffee shop. I am a regular patron of the gym, and when not engaged in weightlifting, I immerse myself in the world of radical sports, with boxing typically occupying the spotlight, and I also love to indulge in activities that challenge personal boundaries, whether traversing mountain bike trails or participating in other high-intensity pursuits.

On a personal level, I firmly believe in cultivating a growth mindset. For me, life is an ongoing voyage of discovery, whether I'm immersing myself in the latest breakthroughs in healthcare or venturing into uncharted literary territories. Seneca's words, "He who is brave is free," deeply resonate with me. This philosophy isn't just about confronting challenges; it's about embracing them with courage. It is this mindset that propels me forward, guiding my path through the complexities of healthcare and my life.

Education

• Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
    • University: Vespucci University, Algonquin

Duration: 4 years (2008-2012)

Certification: National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN)

Honors and Achievements:
      • Graduated with Distinction
      • Dean's List for all four years

Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) - Specialization in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care
    • University: Vespucci University, Algonquin

Duration: 2 years (2017-2018)

Certification: National certification in NP specialty (American Academy of Nurse Practitioners - AANP)

Thesis: Conducted pioneering research on "Optimizing Acute Care Strategies for Geriatric Patients," contributing to the advancement of geriatric nursing practices.

Professional Experience

• Holland Hospital Center
    • Position: Registered Nurse

Duration: 5 year (2012-2017)

Accomplishments:
      • Advocated for patient-centered care practices, contributing to a culture shift that prioritized individualized patient needs and preferences.
      • Participated in quality improvement initiatives that resulted in streamlined processes, reducing patient wait times and improving overall operational efficiency.

Easton Medical Center
    • Position: Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP):

Duration: 5 years (2018-2023)

Leadership Development:
      • Completed Leadership in Healthcare Administration Program, honing skills in strategic planning and healthcare management.
      • Orchestrated strategic quality enhancement programs, leading to improved patient outcomes and a marked reduction in adverse events.
      • Played a pivotal role in refining and implementing protocols that aligned with the evolving standards of acute care, ensuring the delivery of cutting-edge healthcare services.

Pillbox Hill Medical Center (since August 2023)
    • Position: Chief Nursing Officer

Strategic Initiatives:
      • Spearheaded comprehensive initiatives to elevate the nursing department's performance, focusing on continuous improvement and adherence to the highest standards of patient care.
      • Successfully implemented strategies to drive recruitment and retention within the nursing department, resulting in a notable increase in qualified and dedicated nursing professionals.
      • Overhauled and finalized comprehensive handbooks and guides for nursing staff, providing clear, accessible, and up-to-date resources to support ongoing professional development and streamlined workflow.
    • Accomplishments:
      • Recognized by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) for exceptional leadership and dedication to gerontological care, awarded the prestigious Fellow of the AANP (FNAP) designation in November 2023, further solidifying my expertise and commitment to advancing the field of geriatric nursing.

Leadership Style

My leadership style is fundamentally collaborative, grounded in a shared vision where every healthcare member actively contributes to our collective goals. I believe in fostering an environment where ideas flow freely, and diverse perspectives are not only welcomed but valued. This collaborative approach ensures that my decisions are always well-informed, drawing on the collective intelligence and expertise of all healthcare staff.

At the core of my leadership style is a deep commitment to patient-centered care. I instill in our nursing team the importance of understanding the unique needs and preferences of each patient. By fostering a culture of compassion and empathy, we ensure that our healthcare professionals prioritize not only the medical aspects of care but also the emotional well-being of our patients.

Open and transparent communication is also essential in my leadership style. I believe in keeping our nursing staff informed about our goals, changes, and challenges, fostering trust and ensuring that everyone of our healthcare team is aligned with the mission and values of our hospital.

Vision for the Hospital

My vision for Pillbox Hill Medical Center transcends the traditional boundaries of healthcare institutions. I envision it not merely as a medical facility but as a dynamic force for positive change in the community, a place where patient-centered care isn't just a philosophy but a lived reality, where every interaction is infused with empathy and tailored to the unique needs of each person.

Beyond the clinical aspect, my vision extends to the holistic well-being of every healthcare professional. I aspire to cultivate an environment where everyone feels a profound sense of purpose and fulfillment in their role. Through continuous professional development, mentorship programs, and a culture of collaboration, Pillbox Hill Medical Center becomes a hub for the growth and flourishing of our dedicated team. Together, we forge a path towards a future where healthcare is not just a service but a transformative journey, positively impacting the lives of our patients and enriching the fabric of the community we serve.

Personal Statement

My journey in healthcare has been a testament to the profound impact that compassionate care can have on people's lives. From my early days as a registered nurse to my specialization in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, each step has reinforced my commitment to delivering high-quality healthcare. This commitment isn't just professional — it's a deeply personal drive to make a positive difference in the lives of those we serve.

Assuming the role of Director of Nursing at Pillbox Hill Medical Center is more than a career progression — it's a profound responsibility. It's about leading a team that understands the healing potential in every interaction. It's about fostering an environment where nurses are not just healthcare providers but compassionate companions in each patient's unique journey towards wellness.

My vision is to create a healthcare environment at Pillbox Hill Medical Center that values both patients and the incredible healthcare professionals who dedicate themselves to the noble cause of healing. I believe in the power of collaboration, innovation, and compassionate care to transform lives.

This journey is a shared one, and together, we have the opportunity to paint a portrait of healthcare excellence — a portrait that reflects not just the clinical expertise of everyone but also the empathy and understanding that define our noble jobs. I am excited and dedicated to leading Pillbox Hill Medical Center's nursing department towards becoming a beacon of healthcare excellence, where the well-being of our patients is at the forefront, and the contributions of our healthcare professionals are recognized and celebrated.

Contact Information

Roan Roybal, MS, AGACNP, FAANP
Chief Nursing Officer
Email: [email protected]